Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Magical Mentholatum



There is a strange attraction? addiction? love? of Mentholatum among the Ross family that stretches back at least 3 generations. Auntie LoLo and Grandma Babe border on the obsessive. In fact, Grandma Babe and Grandpa Bill are quite mixed up in my first memories of Mentholatum. I actually thought that it was a product of the 60's that wasn't around anymore but just happened to be in my grandparent's medicine cabinet still (something about the packaging just made it seem really old...). I was shocked to find out as an adult that they still made it and that I could buy it too! And of course, our house is stocked with it. We also have some Vicks VapoRub, but I refuse to use it, it just isn't the same. While Grandma Babe and Grandpa Bill passed on my love for Mentholatum, Grandpa Bill never was able to convince me to tie a sock around my throat when I was using it :).

Anyhoo, the Mentholatum tradition has been passed on to yet another generation. Millie took her first mentholy whiffs yesterday as we worked to clear up her poor little nose so she could breathe. I think she liked it :).

2 comments:

  1. I'm not as obsessed with it as everyone seems to think. I mean I just use it everynight on my lips and nose! I have not been able to convince Jason to use it - unless he really can't breathe then he'll give in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obsession? Hmmm. Sam loves it and all 3 boys will ask for Mentholatum and the SOCK when they're really coughing at night. You'll come around eventually when Millie is really hacking....and the SOCK will win!

    ReplyDelete