I feel like we turned a corner this weekend (I type as I furiously knock on wood...). Between my new schedule starting at the end of August (giving me Mondays off, which is a good thing, but still adding change to our schedule, which can be a difficult thing especially when you are 2 1/2 years old), personnel changes at work for Scott resulting in more work for him added on to a big project with a small time line, MAJOR teething for Merrill that really threw her for a loop (messing with her appetite; causing a fever for a couple of days; messing up her bowel movements resulting in many middle of the night wakings for diaper changes and frequent night feeding, along with general clinginess and difficulty napping), nap rebellions staged by Millie (likely connected to my schedule and her desire for me to be home every day -- that's a whole other post...) all on top of the regular chaos that is the life of a family of two working parents with two very active, young children, well we really didn't stand a chance. Sleep was not good for anyone for a couple of weeks leaving us all very tired (see post from last week :) ).
BUT, things seem to be going better. Merrill has at least three new teeth in her mouth (her mouth is obviously very sensitive so she doesn't let me in to feel around very willingly). I've felt or seen two molars (one on top and one on bottom on opposite sides of her mouth) and one tooth on the bottom in the middle. Poor girl has every surface of her mouth sprouting teeth! No wonder she ran a fever (even though every medical book out there claims teething doesn't cause fevers...). She's finally eating better during the day and sleeping better at night -- she still nurses at night, but at least we haven't been having as many 3 am poop sessions. For a while there it felt like we had a newborn in the house again!
Naps are still a challenge with both the girls and Millie makes it pretty clear (in both conventional and unconventional ways) that she would like me to stay home everyday, but I have faith we'll find our answer to that too, with time.
Yes, it certainly feel like we're getting back to our normal chaos; which is a chaos I can *generally* handle. Let's hope it lasts for a while!
Geez, that post makes me tired even reading it. I just posted on Leslie's blog that whoever said "This too shall pass" must have been the mother of a toddler. It really does get better, hang in there, and I hope you get some sleep soon :-)
ReplyDeleteYikes! I hear you on all levels. Hang tough, but mostly just talk through everything so no elephants show up. :)
ReplyDelete