Scott walked up for lunch two weeks ago and was greeted with this:
patches of paint in the kitchen, the half-bath, and the hallway. A week and a half later we had painted the kitchen, bathroom, hallway, and dining room and had put wallpaper on one wall in the dining room. Whew! I'm not sure what got into me, but apparently it was time to give the main floor a make-over. I love how everything turned out and feel like it really reflects us now instead of being a mix of the old owners and us.The final products:
The bathroom -- a nice sea blue-green. We still need to install the new faucet that you can see there on the floor....
The kitchen: I've been planning an orange kitchen since we bought our first house in
Monroe, but have never had a chance to actually do it. Now that I have,
I love it!
I'm really looking forward to making the curtains out of this fabric. I've got a few other projects to get done first though before I tackle that. This is the pattern I'm going to follow. It's pure coincidence that the author of that post used the same fabric in a different color!
| decorative tiles before |
| decorative tiles after |
The hallway: just a creamy white/ivory. It acts as a nice transition between the very colorful kitchen, dining room and family room now. Kind of like a palette cleanser for the eyes :).
The dining room: As I was wandering the aisles one day in Lowes waiting for my paint to be mixed, I came across this textured wallpaper and was inspired to use it as an accent wall in the dining room. Scott was a bit dubious about the idea of wallpaper, but he went along with me and we both really like how it turned out.
The wallpaper going up
The detail
And the final product:
It's a subtle effect, but turned out just how I imagined.
It's quite possible that years from now if we sell the house or look back on our make-over choices, or listen to our children recall their childhood home that future owners, our future selves, our children will say "what were you thinking?!" (much like the avocado green and harvest gold rooms of decades past) For right now though, I like it :). And I think we are done painting for a while!
Your Grandma Babe would approve!
ReplyDeleteDad