Pages

Monday, June 02, 2014

Farmhouse Party

The girls and I spent Saturday afternoon and evening out at a good friend's parent's farmhouse where they were throwing THE party to start the summer off right.  (Scott and Teddy, unfortunately, missed it because Teddy was sick.)  There was SO much to do and so many people to talk to.  The girls enjoyed the wading pool, bounce house, bounce slide, swing set, 'big' slide, tire swing, tree swing, cotton candy, snow cones, (there was a popcorn machine too, I convinced them to skip that one...), food and more food, the band complete with a bubble machine, and fireworks that released parachutes.  There is a good chance I've forgotten something in all that!  And I enjoyed sitting back and visiting with friends surrounded by beautiful scenery in every direction.  As much as I love the toddler age, there is something to be said for kids getting older and not needing constant supervision!  I missed having Scott there by my side and being able to see Teddy enjoy all of the excitement, but I did get a quiet day out.

The girls changed into their swimsuits as soon as we got there ... they then went from the wading pool...

... to the bounce house/slide down a big hill...

...where they climbed up this giant hill (usually wet)....

... then slid down the slide...

... and then ran back up the hill to do it all again (and this was not a small hill!)
 My friend and I commented on what we thought would happen to us if we tried to do this even once, let alone over and over and over and over ...  Whew!  What a workout!


And then they all saw the cotton candy, snow cone, and popcorn machines being started up!

If you know me well, you know that this sight makes my heart pound with anxiety -- the sugar!  the food dye!  the sugar!  the who-knows-what?!  But, as a now famous princess sings, I "let it go" just for the day.  (they did at least agree to share a cotton candy -- Millie's idea -- and to have a snow cone, but not at the same time, and to skip the popcorn... oh good lord...)


Merrill actually spent a lot of time in the playhouse with a group of kids playing school -- Millie floated in and out, but she didn't like having to wait her turn to be the teacher.

Both girls enjoyed the swings



 Ready ...

Set...

GO!!!

... and back to the pool

oops, lost one on the end there!

There was a little time when we were worried these clouds were going to open up on us, but we got lucky and the rain never came

more swinging



Ready to dance!

Nothing gets kids on the dance floor like bubbles!





And then came the fireworks (just when I thought I might be able to convince the girls that it was time to go home ;). )




Eventually I was able to drag them away from all of the fun.  I knew they had a good time when they both fell asleep on the way home -- they very rarely fall asleep in the car anymore.  Scott helped me carry them up to bed and change them into their pajamas and they quickly fell back asleep, which was good because by 9:00 at night Teddy was ready to see me again.  He woke up around 10 and was ready to play (and eat noodles).  How could I say 'no' to this little face knowing the poor kid was sick and hadn't eaten much all day?  

What a great way to start the summer.

3 comments:

  1. great pics!!! Can I share this with my parents?! They'd love seeing such great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel - of course! I think it would be hard to take a BAD picture on the farm :). Some of them didn't load all of the way for some reason ... I'll send you a link to another batch of pictures that I took that include people other than my own children :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got those too!!! Thank you!!! =)

    ReplyDelete