Pages

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Getting Out to Play

We took full advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday and went out to play in the afternoon.  I can't say I don't enjoy these 60 degree days in February, but I can't say that they don't also give me more than a moment's pause to wonder just what effect we are having on the environment and if these days are a result of that.  If my kids grow up to live in St. Louis, will their children ever even experience snow?  But, no need to debate the fate of the environment or the presence/absence of man-made global warming here.  We'll just focus on the happy smiles and dirty hands for now.

 
Merrill in her happy place

Teddy just didn't know where to look!  So much to watch as the girls ran around!

striking poses

Millie in her happy place

getting in a workout -- Teddy was working on his push-ups, the girls were working on their soccer skills


And then there was the mud... check out the shoes
and the hands...
I simultaneously love and hate this hobby of Millie's.  I love her free spirit and her joy of nature, I love the (huge) smile on her face, I love that she is not afraid to get messy (REALLY messy) or work hard and sweat a bit.  I am not as fond of the messes.  I try really hard to appreciate all of those things and to not sweat the mess ('cause really, it's nothing a little time in the tub can't cure).  I'm learning to smile, give a little sigh, shake my head and just roll with it. 
Merrill is also conflicted, she wants to emulate everything her big sister does, but it is not in her inherent nature to get messy (she's more like her mama).  I give her credit for jumping in and doing things out of her comfort zone in her own way -- and enjoying it.
Some day my house will be clean and neat all the time and I'll be wishing for the muddy shoes and handprints back.  I want to make sure I enjoy them now and not just as a memory in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I need to become more ok w messes! I'm like you and Merrill! But yeah, a bath can cure all!

    ReplyDelete