Over the weekend Millie and I completed our preparations for the Tooth Fairy's first visit. Millie asked to make a tooth pillow (and after seeing some pictures from Pinterest, she had a definite design in mind -- luckily it was easy enough to execute! ) and I thought it would be fun to incorporate a "fairy door" into the experience. So, below is what we came up with. All we have to do now is wait for her tooth to fall out! Actually, I'm really hoping that's all we have to do. We noticed over the weekend that her grown-up tooth is coming in behind her baby tooth. It looks like it may completely bypass the baby tooth and therefore not help push the baby tooth out. Hopefully my assessment of the situation is wrong; I think it would be a real bummer to lose your first tooth by extraction from the dentist rather than having the excitement of it falling out on it's own. We are headed to the dentist on Monday to see what he says. Fingers crossed. In the meantime -- Millie is ready. She takes her tooth pillow along with her most places, just in case. She had dance class last night and brought it along and told me her plan. IF the tooth fell out while she was dancing, she would keep her mouth shut tight and then hurry over to me and give it to me so I could put it in the pillow. Then she would put the pillow under her pillow (I'm going to try to talk her into hanging it on the bedpost...) and the tooth fairy would take it. Then we talked about what the tooth fairy might leave in it's place. She is SO excited to be hitting this milestone. Me, I'm a little sad to see it come so soon (and also a little more grossed out by the whole thing than I would have thought!). There just is no way to keep them young forever, is there? *Sigh.*
As I was gathering the materials to make the fairy door my curious little crafter asked me what I was doing. I said "well, I noticed something about our house, we don't have a fairy door." Millie's response (in a completely serious, matter of fact tone) "oh, we need a fairy door" -- not even questioning what a fairy door is, or that they even exist :). After I hung the door I told them that I sprinkled some fairy dust from the garden on it to make it magical and that now fairies can come in and out. I emphasized that it does not work for children though and that if it is touched by a human, it will lose it's magic and the tooth fairy will not be able to get in. This was all accepted pretty much as fact and truth. There were a few questions as to whether I was SURE it was magical and where did I get the dust, but they haven't played with it yet so I think the magic is working.
Fortunately I had some felt lying around to make the tooth pillow to her specifications -- a purple pillow with a pink tooth on it and a purple bow on the tooth :). Millie stitched the tooth onto the pillow and 3 sides of the pillow herself. She LOVES it!
No comments:
Post a Comment