Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day at the Zoo

March Merrill-Mommy date

Merrill and I headed to the zoo yesterday morning for our March date.  We decided to go early to take advantage of free carousel rides and free admission to the children's zoo (both are free the first hour that the zoo is open -- 9 -10 a.m.).  We also hoped to be able to take advantage of close and free parking if we got there early enough (okay, those were my decisions, not Merrill's, but I'm pretty sure she was happy with them and agreed with me ;) ).  We lucked out and were able to get a street spot right in front of the entrance as someone else pulled out.  Yay!  It's always good when we can make these dates as budget-friendly as possible!

We were the first ones on the carousel and our first ride (of two) was just us!


second time around -- this time on a Ne Ne Goose

The Children's zoo was a highlight for Merrill.  She spent a lot of time on the playground and in the indoor area (which I didn't get any pictures of...).  There were lots of cute animals to see and lots of things to climb on.  Inside we saw bunnies and guinea pigs and a hedgehog up close!  I have to say, the hedgehog might have been my favorite animal.  Wendy was incredibly cute and really did all of the children's book illustrations of hedgehogs I've ever seen justice.  I just couldn't get over it.  (and obviously, still can't!)
Unfortunately I didn't get a picture because Wendy was either being held by a docent or in her box and I just couldn't get a good shot.





As tall as a River Otter!

The one animal that Merrill really wanted to see was the elephant, so after the Children's Zoo we headed over to the River's Edge to see if the elephants were out.  It seems like we almost never make our way to this area of the zoo when we visit, so it was good to make it a priority.  And, lucky for us, several of the animals were out and about!  We saw the hippos lazing in the water, the rhino, hyenas, a cheetah AND the elephants!  We even saw one squirt water with his trunk (Merrill will tell you he/she squirted the water at her!) and one throw a rock into the water.  Merrill was mesmerized and because it was a slightly chilly Saturday morning, we didn't have to share the viewing space with many (sometimes any) other people. 
 

following animal prints to the elephants.  This zoo really is awesome.  

that's a rhinoceros back there

hyenas






 
We even had time (and the money we would have spent on parking) for a quick lunch after seeing all of the River animals.  What a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment