Yesterday I got the opportunity to do a ropes course with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. We had so much fun climbing into trees, finding our way across crazy rope obstacles and zip-lining back down to the ground to do it all again -- only each time a little higher with more challenging obstacles. It was an activity that was a little out of my comfort zone, but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. You have to be 10 years old in order to go on the course -- I already have plans to take Millie in 3 years! I decided to take my camera up into the trees with me rather than leave it on the ground with a friend who was not participating in the course (because she's pregnant, not because she was afraid ;) ), which made things a little awkward at times, but I didn't want all of the pictures to be distant booty shots. Even with the camera up in the trees with me, I don't think the pictures really do the experience justice, but they will at least give a slight sense of what we did.
Getting harnessed up. I wouldn't normally post pictures of myself in this attire, with a harness on, but this picture cracks me up :).
learning the 'ropes' on the ground -- again, I wouldn't normally post pictures of myself in such an outfit, but I'm clearly having such a good time. So, focus on the smile and not the rest, please :).


The first set of obstacles just to get us started and comfortable ...
Then it was on to set number two for the real thing!
Our first Tarzan swing -- this one felt very 'American Ninja Warrior'
Our first zipline -- the view from my camera (which was at about waist level - don't watch if you get motion-sick!)
This was one of the tougher obstacles -- walking across those swinging, narrow beams. Staying on the beams and upright took a LOT of work. Of course we always knew we had the option to just 'fall' and pull ourselves across on the cable while sitting in the harness. I didn't take that option on any of the obstacles, but the option was always there.
Rachel here was tough -- she managed to walk across without holding on to the cable above! My balance wasn't quite that good.
Our group at various points in this set of obstacles -- it was a little like living among the ewoks :).
ha ha -- yeah, right! I think my feet left the skateboard almost instantly -- luckily it was then just a 'regular' zip line :).
The twisted ladder was also a tough one
view from our last set of obstacles -- the highest point we climbed to
The last zip line
Coming in for a landing!
What a very fun and amazing day! It was wonderful to spend the better part of the day challenging myself and helping others challenge themselves.

























Way to go Shannon, I don't think I could do that.
ReplyDelete