Millie and I participated in our first 5k/fun runs yesterday, and managed to convince our best friends to participate with us! Millie LOVES to run and has been asking to do a race, so when this one came up through our church, I thought it would be a good starter one. The fun run was advertised as a 1/4 mile route, which I knew Millie could handle with no problem (it actually turned out to be more like .33-.4 miles, but she still didn't have any trouble). The 5k was advertised as a run/walk, so I figured I could handle that. I'm in the gym quite a bit these days and spend my fair share of time on the treadmill, but I've never been much of an outdoor runner and actually don't do that much running on the treadmill either (I do run, but it's in 2-minute intervals, not longer durations/distances). That 'walk' option though, gave me confidence that I could handle the 5k. And I did. It was actually very enjoyable and we ended up running 2/3-3/4 of the way. It certainly helped that I had a friend there to talk to the whole time :). I'm even considering looking for some more races to do! I'm pretty sure Millie is hooked too.
Scott was a trooper and watched the kids at home while April and I did the 5k. He brought them up about 1/2 an hour before the kids' run and they got to hang out and enjoy the festivities.
These two were ready to run!
Lining up at the start
And they're off! So, the roads were not closed for the kids run, which meant that all of these kids were starting at the same time on the sidewalk. It may not surprise you that we saw quite a few kids go down at the start ...
Holy moly they came around that corner fast! I thought I was just taking a picture of Millie's friend here (it's really difficult to track a crowd of fast moving kids through a camera lens!), I was tickled to see that Millie is there in the middle of the pack too (purple leggings). Her face says it all.
and then she was gone
We made our way back to the start/finish while the kids went the rest of the way around the block -- Millie and her friend were in the first pack of kids to make it back
A little confused at the ending -- we'll have to work on sprinting to the end :)
Proud of their accomplishment!

















She can start training with Jason :)
ReplyDelete